Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Pasta Sauce Adventure

What happens when you finally run out of the vodka sauce you made...a long time ago, and don't want to go back to the store-bought variety?
Well, you use the one can of tomato sauce in the back of your cupboard, of course.
Not satisfied with just tomato sauce, I decided to spice it up with chopped onion, chili powder, lots of salt, cayenne pepper, lots of basil, garlic, red wine, and some canned milk.
I don't know why I added canned milk, but with all those dark ingredients, it did make the whole thing taste a little lighter without being excessively creamy. And I added some water, because I was afraid it was getting too thick.
If I had had anything else on hand, I might have used it, but I didn't. What I ended up with was some nice oniony, spicy, very dark tomato sauce.
I will continue with my adventure of sauces, and we will see what I get next time.
In the meantime, we've only been eating pasta this week. I'm getting very bored with that.

No comments: