Monday, November 24, 2008

Requiem for a TV show

One of my favorites, Pushing Daisies, has just been cancelled. Or infinitely postponed. Or whatever they called it.
Someone has postulated that it's possible that ABC just wants the loyal viewers to send hundreds of free pies to its offices. I will not be sending them any pies. Maybe some exploding packages, or other revengeful items.
I loved this show. The first season was lovely and whimsical, and now we will never get to see the aunts reunited with their Charlotte, and Ned will never be able to find a loophole so he can touch Chuck. And Emerson will never find his lil' gumshoe!! And last but certainly not least, the guy who makes the beautiful pies for that show will be out of a job.


How ridiculous! This show was so cute and lighthearted, but alas, I guess it was just too different for mainstream TV. Although how shows like Prison Break and Ghost Whisperer stay on the air and Pushing Daisies gets cut is a complete mystery to me.

But, in tribute to Pushing Daisies' demise, I will post my pies that I made for Thanksgiving. I didn't realize they would be a tribute to this show, or I would have made them prettier.

1. Pumpkin Pie
Honestly, I can't stand pumpkin pie. I won't take more than a bite of it to make sure it's not poisoned. But as far as being able to tell if the pie is exactly perfect, I honestly wouldn't know. I couldn't tell you what a pumpkin pie is supposed to be like.
But I have heard from most of my family yesterday that the pie was something fabulous. I blame the recipe, not the cook. This will be the first of many postings of my grandma's recipes that I inherited.

Ingredients:

4 - 5 eggs
1 large can pumpkin
1½ c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
3½ c. milk
1 can milk (carnation)

Mix well in a bowl, bake at 425 for 15 min., 350 for 25-35 min.

Simple, yet (apparently) wonderful. I hate squash of all varieties.

No comments: