Wednesday, November 19, 2008

In which I discover that feta and mayonnaise is a good combination.

As previously discussed, a week ago I bought a giant container of fresh feta cheese for only $4. This leaves me continually searching for things to do with it. Occasionally I use a recipe finder, and sometimes I just make things up off the top of my head.
Like this wrap that I'm about to describe to you.
There is a Pita Pit in my college town. If you haven't been to Pita Pit, they make the world's most fabulous wraps, including things like meat, vegetables, sauce and cheese all magically wrapped up in a fresh, real pita. According to one taster, my wrap was better than anything pita pit could come up with. I disagree, but it's ok. I'll take the compliment.

Basically, I had some large burrito shells. And on top of one, I put some chicken breast lunch meat, some chopped onions, some arugula leaves, a few wedges of avocado, three tomato slices, and some mayonnaise and some crumbled up feta cheese. And it is amazing. So simple, yet so great.

Why though? Doesn't it seem that the combination of feta and mayonnaise would be utterly disgusting? Maybe the avocado was balancing everything out. Not so. A few days later I ran out of avocado but made one anyway, and it was still just as good.
The arugula somehow took on a somewhat smoky flavor when paired with the mayo and tomato, and the chicken was barely even noticeable. It could have been mistaken for actual, good-quality deli meat, or it could have not been there at all. But it certainly didn't taste like the crappy chicken I bought.
My only beef with this wrap was that my burrito shells were of the not-too-bendable variety, making a neat little wrap shape almost impossible. Maybe if I had thrown them in the microwave for 5 seconds, I would have had less trouble, but then I would have been eating a crunchy tortilla within minutes. I would suggest getting actual tortillas made for wraps, or if you can find them, actual large-size pita pockets.
The problem is, I won't eat large-size pitas unless they actually come from the Yasmeen Bakery in Dearborn, Michigan.
Sidenote: If you get the chance to go there, GO THERE. They have fresh pitas. They have shwarma. They have spinach fatiyah that is second only to my Sitto's. They have large vats of fresh mediterranean olives for sale. They have some pastries, but for real baklawa, you should go to the huge shrine to pastries that is Shatila down the road. Everyone knows that.
Domed ceilings, christmas lights, the whole bit. The pastry counters line the walls. I mean it when I say shrine. It's just not an extremely good picture.

No comments: